Monday, July 13, 2009

Teaching Moments

The Lord has really been teaching me about forgiveness today along with being mindful of the things we say so I took this opportunity to talk to my son about it. I'm sure everyone has done this or at least heard about this but thought I'd share my pics with everyone!

Ephesians 4:29 says Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

I talked to Keegan about how sometimes when we are angry or hurt or just plain grumpy we sometimes say things we really shouldn't. The toothpaste represents the icky things we might say. I then gave him a spoon and told him to put the toothpaste back in the tube. He quickly found out that it's nearly impossible and all-in-all it makes a BIG mess. I told him that our words can make a big mess of things and although we can apologize about what we said we can't take them back and it has a lasting effect on the world around us.

Obviously Keegan had more fun making the mess and playing in the toothpaste but after his dad got home from work he ran right in to show him what he did and told him about what he learned! So...totally worth the tube of toothpaste! :O)

Here's the proud boy & his mess:


Our icky words and the mess it can make:


Trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube:



Not working out so well:

3 comments:

  1. This is a great lesson... one I need to hear myself and one I hope to remember long enough to teach my son in a couple of years (when he is old enough to understand)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great lesson. I think we can all learn from this one. What a neat way to show it too. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you scrap those photos, what a meaningful layout that would be. And what an amazing reminder!

    ReplyDelete